Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Waste Not Wednesday

Whether it's trash to treasures or day old bread, I am finding great pleasure in re-purposing things these day. I recently had a conversation with one of the world's greatest aunts...my Aunt Laynie. My how I *heart* her! We were talking about the soon to be over-ripe borderline rotten bananas in the fruit basket on my kitchen counter. We had also been talking about the cost of feeding 2 big boys and 1 quickly growing toddler. She suggested turning those over-ripe bananas into a yummy snack for the boys. No, I am not going to give you a recipe for banana bread (which I personally DO NOT care for). This is even better because it involves God's gift to women...CHOCOLATE!!!! When I was little and I'd go visit her, she'd make the coolest breakfasts, most special lunches and snacks, and gourmet dinners that would make an 8-year-old little girl with glasses "wanna slap her momma". She still proves to have the best ideas for jazzing up food...even rotten bananas.

She reminded me that for a snack, she would roll bananas in chocolate and sprinkle nuts or something crunchy on top.Then she'd put them in the freezer for a tasty frozen treat. So I did just that!
  • I took my almost rotten bananas and grabbed some chocolate morsels out of the cabinet.
  • I peeled the bananas, cut them in half, and put them on parchment paper
  • I melted the morsels in a micro safe bowl at 15 second intervals, stirring in between. I even added a splash of milk to thin it just a tad.
  • I drizzled and rolled the bananas in the the chocolate until they were good and coated
  • I skipped the nuts part because MM2 is allergic...but you could use crushed toffee of rice krispies---I was just fresh out of those two things
  • I put them back on the parchment paper and put them in the freezer.
  • And what a yummy treat we had a couple of hours later...YUM!!!
Try it...I promise you won't be disappointed and you won't feel sorry for your uneaten bananas that get thrown away and you won't pay an arm and a leg for the ones in the freezer section at the store!

Re-purpose.

Practically Yours,

No comments :