Friday, August 06, 2010

DAY 7


This week while wallowing in sinus infection and stomach bug grossness, I didn't feel much like physically organizing anything. I took a few days off from projects and cleaning to pretend to rest and take care of myself and to care for a vomitous MM3...love his heart! He kindly shared his sinus infection with me, but thankfully for the rest of us, he kept his stomach virus to himself. So as I was being as inactive as possible, I decide it was a good time to get spiritually organized.

As busy moms, we often don't have that 30 minutes of spiritual alone time that so many professionals recommend. Frequently, I find myself spending my personal time with the Lord in the shower, car, and just as I am drifting off to sleep. I even fall asleep in the middle of my nightly prayers!!! Does God really have a clue what I'm trying to say???? "Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for the blessings of this day and for... ZzZzZzZzZ... and I pray that you will help me... ZzZzZzZzZ..." Yes, he actually does know the desires of my heart because of my 30 second snippets throughout the day and bedtime prayers with my boys and I think he appreciates my intentions. However, I am attempting to rework my "spiritual style" so that I can take full advantage of my personal time with the Lord. Along with my 30 second snippets, I would also like to incorporate AT LEAST 15-20 minutes each night to reflect and talk to God. I read my devotionals, sometimes with the Yard Man and sometimes alone. I try to remember all the prayer requests I've received throughout the day/week and I try to give thanks and talk to Him about my heart's desires. Sometimes I am just so tired and I can't seem to squeeze it all in. I know "God hears amen where ever we are" but I'd like to devote a little more time and energy to Him and not always give Him my left-overs! I'm not that person who is going to get up 30 minutes earlier each day...NOPE I am not. So this is my PLAN!!!

  • Carry my pocket Prayer Journal in my pocketbook for handy note taking and jotting down prayer requests, sermon notes, bible study notes, etc.

  • Head to bed 5-10 minutes earlier each night

  • Begin nightly devotions with prayer and thanksgiving FIRST, so as to not fall asleep before I'm finished talking to God

  • Spend 20 minutes doing our couples devotional, personal devotional, or bible study

  • Keep all devotional materials handy in my newly organized DEVO-BIN on my bedside table!
Which brings me to the DEVO-BIN. One of my books suggests a basket in which to store all your spiritual references. Thankfully, this chapter spoke loud and clear to me, as all my books, notes, pens and highlighters regularly stay in a jumbled mess on my bedside table. I didn't have a basket, nor would a basket fit on my bedside table, so I used this smaller metal bin I had on hand. It worked perfectly!

My DEVO-BIN includes some of my favorite and most frequently used spiritual guides

  • My Bible

  • Moments Together for Couples by Barbara and Dennis Rainey

  • The Yard Man's copy of The Power of a Praying Husband By Stormie and Michael Omartian (Lord knows I need all I can get!)

  • The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian (I did this one in a Bible study when MM1 was a baby and still refer to it weekly...love, love, love it!)

  • Jesus Calling by Sarah Young (Given to me by a dear friend who frequently offers great spiritual insight on her blog.)

  • Where to Find It in the Bible: A to Z resource guide

  • My Prayer Journal (which will travel with me but have a "home" in the DEVO-BIN)...pictoral details below

  • Pens, Pencils, and Highlighters

  • Special keepsake prayer cards issued at our women's retreat
Any who...I am very pleased with how functional and PRACTICAL it turned out. I love my DEVO-BIN!!!!

So...on to the Prayer Journal! This particular org book also suggested a small spiral notebook with dividers to serve as a Prayer Journal. I found mine at the dollar store and it worked perfectly. The author has hers laid out differently but thinks the reader should personalize hers according to her lifestyle and needs.

Prayer Journal
4 subject spiral pocket notebook
Tab #1- Desires of the Heart- this is an area for me to jot down my personal requests for God; my ambitions, goals, requests for forgiveness and worries
Tab #2- Sermon/Bible Study Notes- for the obvious
Tab #3- Prayer Requests- I finally have a designated place to write down all the prayer requests I receive from email, facebook, bible study, church, friends and family. I always feel so bad when I realize the next day that I left someone out! Hopefully, that won't happen anymore!
Tab #4- Notes- this section is to record thougts and feelings about answered prayers and waiting on the unanswered prayers
Note Cards clipped to the back cover for writing notes offering words of encouragement to others and those on the prayer request list.

Practical Tip- Just as God allows us to come as we are and fills us with purpose, go find that unused basket or bin, dust it off and wipe it out and make your own DEVO-BIN. Set the stage for regular well-deserved moments with our Lord and Savior!

Practically Put- But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. -Matthew 6:33

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. -Matthew 11:28-30

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. -Jeremiah 29:13


Practically Yours,

4 comments :

Karen Ballentine said...

Girl! I love your devotion bin! What a great way to keep all your Bible/devotion books neat and not stuffing them in a drawer and forgetting! Can you send me the "gimme" printable! I need a schedule for me and the kids too...and I loved yours!
Karen

Mitzi said...

can u come over here? Seriously...

Katie said...

Thanks for sharing! Wonderful ideas! XO!

Kay said...

Love Love Love this! I'm following the blog- Inspired to Action- and one of the things I'm trying to do is maximize my mornings. This is my goal- to have a 30 min am devotional before my 2yr old hits the floor running. So this will help me attain the goal, because if I'm not organized, it ain't happening! Thank you!