Thursday, February 02, 2012

14 Lovely Days: Day 2

Well, we've been living in the land of the crud all week and the last 2 days I've had all three home sick. Cabin fever is setting in!

I tried really hard to keep the peace today. I let the boys pick their "territory". Sam chose my bedroom and Fulton chose the den. Ollie just roamed and took turns visiting his brothers in their territories. It was an interesting day to say the least. I'm just hoping everyone is well enough to go to school tomorrow.

Any who... on to Day 2.

My random act for the day originally involved making a special snack together, but I didn't think sharing the germs any further was a very good idea.
So instead...I picked a little activity that I found on Pinterest the other day.


Origami Monster Bookmarks! Cute, huh?

But when I got to the site from where it was originally pinned, I realized my Japanese was a little rusty. Sooo I did a little googling and found an origami site the shows you the folding process for the bookmark and we made our own.

I tried to photograph step-by-step so you could follow along...


Supplies:
Card stock or construction paper in various colors
Scissors
Hole punch for embellishments
Glue


We started with a 6x6 square
Fold into a triangle
Fold the left corner to the center point
Fold the right corner to the center point
Open up to a triangle again and fold one flap of the center point to the bottom
Re-fold the left corner towards the center point and tuck it into the "pocket"
Re-fold the right corner toward the center point and tuck it into the "pocket"


Cut a contrasting square slightly smaller than the 3x3 pocket
Apply glue and press inside
Cut embellishments- teeth, eyes, nose, tongue, etc.
Apply glue and press in place
Slide them onto the page corner of your favorite book
and voila!





Poor Sam was feeling so bad that he didn't want his picture taken. But he wanted me to let everyone know that he made the one that looks like a tiger, "with the cat eyes".

And finally. What does the 3 year-old who is fascinated by the scissors do while you're origami-ing with his brothers?

Well...


He cuts a hole in his shirt, of course.
Good times. Good times.

XO,

43 comments :

Anonymous said...

Those are really cute...I love the hole in the shirt too!

just ask beth said...

Holy Crap!! I thought you were going to say cut his HAIR!! HAHA!! They are tres Presh!

Anonymous said...

Did these today with 3 boys...so fun! Thanks for the great directions and a great activity with very few materials! SO CUTE and FUN!! :)

Jenna said...

So I checked out the original and underneath the picture is a link to a video - I think the video is in Mandarin, but you can follow along. And you don't end up with fold lines on the front :) Yours look great too though ;)

chardonbabydoll said...

This is a great project, thanks for these!

Angel said...

These are great my 12 yr old daughter is an avid reader and will thoroughly enjoy them. I'm going to try and make them girlie, wish me luck!!

c @annuary chit said...

This is so adorable! I can't wait to try this out at craft night!

Margaret said...

Thanks for the super fun, super easy idea! http://fivefrugalsisters.blogspot.com/2012/08/book-monster-bookmarks.html

Anonymous said...

Adorable! I'm going to try these with a girls' activity group I lead. Thanks so much!

Kathy said...

I just made one of these, lol, and I don't even have kids! Super easy and cute..thanks so much for sharing this great idea!

Mónica said...

I like simply but useful crafts to do, so tomorrow i have to try this with my 11 and my 3 year old boys.
Thanks for sharing.
My 3 year old boy, Samuel, loves to use scissors too ;-)

Nanatar said...

Absolutely great idea! Had to try them my self :).. I made also Angry Bird bookmark, it was my kids favorite.
http://nanannurkka.blogspot.fi/2012/10/rrraaayh-hurrrrjat-origami-kirjanmerkit.html

Margaux R. said...

I'm a Volunteer Teacher at a children's shelter and taught the kids how to make these cute book monsters today! They enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea :D

Anonymous said...

I love them. Will make some for my daugther. She loves to reed. And well, my son always did that. but to his bed sheets. Cutting holes must be interesting. :D

pengtchr said...

Just found these cute bookmarks on pinterest, how cute. My students will have a blast decorating them. Thanks for the extra pics to really explain the folding.

Anonymous said...

Great craft for boys and girls! My kids had a great time with this project! Thanks!!

Kent said...

Hi CTbaker,
Thanks for the sharing

I am a casual Paper art Journalist, My name is Kent. I have posted a review on the bookmark at www.paperartmaster.com.

Unknown said...

I was very pleased to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it 5 star hotel in bangladesh

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. These are amazingly great!

Anonymous said...

These are so fun and easy to make! Your directions were easy to follow, and your examples are ADORABLE!!!

A Cup, A Cup said...

What a cute craft! I can't wait to try these with my kids.

Becky said...

Super cute! My daughter always hates to end in the middle of a book at bedtime. Maybe these cute creature bookmarks will make it a bit more fun! Thanks for the post!

http://thisfineday.com

Alisa said...

Probably a bit late, but you could continue the Japanese theme and do some sashiko decorative stitches to close up that hole in the shirt!

Anonymous said...

OMG I love these!!! I am going to have my daughter make a bunch of these and give them out the last day of school! Thank you foe such an easy cool project! :)

Maru Maru :3 said...

Thank you for awesome tutorial! so inspiration! <3 here mine :D but in malaysia language ^^ http://fiqizumisyunkawk.blogspot.com/2014/01/origami-stinko-bookmarks.html

Anonymous said...

I like these a lot! I have some directions to make heart ones for valentines day but I like the monsters too! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I like these a lot! I have some directions to make heart ones for valentines day but I like the monsters too! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

OMG THESE ARE ADORABLE

keremle günler said...

harika olmuş ellerinize emeginize saglık

Unknown said...

thankyou for this easy and fun activity. I saw it on Relief Teaching ideas and was directed to your page. your instructions were brilliant.

Unknown said...

Thankyou! Great activity. Fun and simple

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea. Just started to try these out and being creative with characters. Perfect for the children @ the hospital.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing!

Alexandra Fred said...

Thanks so much for this post, the bookmarks are really cute.

Prerona Basu said...

loved it so much

Tina Marie said...

These are super cute and it's great timing too because my sister just asked me to make her some fun bookmarks for xmas! Thanks so much for sharing. Also, just a little side note, if you're using Google Chrome as a browser and there's a page you're trying to view in a different language theres a box in the upper right hand corner that will translate the page into english for you. :)

Hannah said...

This is very cute! I am going to do this with my kids. I don't do enough crafts with them! Thanks. I loved the photos too!

Cathy L Murphy said...

These are so cute. Perfect to share with our local children's public library!

Unknown said...

Hi! I love the origami monsters! I've made a bunch with my son and would also like to know how to make them without the crease in the front. I've tried following the Pinterest post but can't seem to find the Mandarin video. Could you help? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea but what size paper do you use?

Anonymous said...

I love these!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Cute

Unknown said...

Wow great idea! I saw an angry birds one on facebook. All you do different is you turn it around and use the point on the back as the beak!