Saturday, August 21, 2010

DAY ? (i've lost track)

WOW!
Sorry folks! I got hit by a bus this week...a school bus that is.
Public schools are back in! MM1 started this past Monday and MM2 starts this coming Monday. MM3 starts on Wednesday but will only be going 2 days and starting at 9 a.m., so I can handle that.
Any who... so here's a rundown of the pandemonium of this week's DO's and DON'Ts...

August 13th- We went out for a Hibachi dinner to celebrate Back to School/End of summer/The Yard Man's Birthday...gotta love a multi-purpose dinner. We came home to feast on an awesome ice cream cake and to watch the Yard Man open presents!

DO schedule and end of summer and back to school celebration. It makes a nice segue into the next phase. Take a family photo, even if it's a snapshot, every 2 months so you're not scrambling when you need a recent one.
DON'T try to get someone in a Japanese Restaurant who doesn't speak English to take a family photo. After 3 attempts of trying to tell her how to use my camera (it's not even a nice one) they were all terrible. I was better off setting the timer and snapping one of us at our house later, before doing cake and presents. (MM1 has to take a recent fam photo to school to put at his work station and we needed one ASAP.)














August 14th- The Yard Man's Birthday- We pawned off the MM's on my in-laws so we could participate in a Scavenger Hunt. It was hilarious! The weather did not cooperate and we learned that if you'd like to do as well as possible, you might want to READ THE DIRECTIONS/RULES!! We were on a team with another couple, one of my long-time friends and her husband. The directions clearly stated..."wear comfortable clothes and running shoes". (Please note the picture and some of what we were wearing.) The boys were semi-comfy and we were zero comfy running around our metropolis digging up answers to riddles in the pouring rain. I had on white shorts and flip-flops and my dear friend had on white pants and flip-flops. Everyone was laughing at us as they arrived in their running clothes and raincoats. Clearly, we were the "new participants". Needless to say, our team politely bowed out of the hunt after the first set of clues was complete and went out for dinner instead!

DO get together with your oldest friends more frequently than not. We laughed harder than I've laughed in a very long time. READ the rules and directions before you agree to do anything.
DON'T wear white ANYTHING or flip flops when running in the rain.

August 15th- Everything was set out for the first day of school...clothes, book bag, lunch bag, school supplies, etc. MM1 had already set out all his clothes for the upcoming week in his hanging clothing organizer (a new thing we started---so far, so good) so it was easy to just grab and go.
August 16th- AM Gimme 5's were all checked off and MM1 was off to his 1st day of school. (MM2 was equally excited to sport his school shirt in support of MM1). They decided to scooter instead of walk and we even had time to stop and pet a kitty along the way. Great start to a great week and hopes for a great year.

DO set everything out the night before and get kiddos to select their clothes/uniforms for the week the Sunday before.

DON'T forget to put helmets on those precious heads as they scooter or bike to school. (I forgot. While it's only a short distance, they could still get very hurt. They need to be responsible to remember for themselves but I need to be responsible enough to enforce it.)

August 17th-August 20th- MM2 & 3 and I enjoyed polishing of summer vacay together. MM2 is off to school on the 23rd ALL DAY EVERYDAY. Bittersweet for sure. I will surely miss him and all our snuggle time in the afternoons. We spent a few days doing lots of puzzles, playing with legos, coloring and reading favorite books. On Friday we enjoyed our $$$$$ date to the local children's museum. We haven't been in quite some time (I think since I was preggo with MM3)  and the prices have gone up!!! After our trip to the museum we went to  meet his new school buddies at a meet-and-greet play date organized by another momma blogger. He really enjoyed his day and MM1 really enjoyed his 1st week of school.

This week we also received some bad news about my sweet neighbor's son. He was 56 and passed away quite unexpectedly from gall-bladder complications that led to pancreatitis. My neighbor is 45 years my senior, the mother of 5 very successful boys and full of so much faith and strength. I went to visit with her on Thursday night. I sat in her den with a few of her close friends and chatted the evening away, like good friends do. And even though I was the youngest in the room, we all had something in common...we were mothers. I might be a little newer to the profession, but we still shared the same wants and fears for our children. In so many words, we talked about how we love them with all our hearts, miss them when they're away, regret the things we should have done more of and the things we shouldn't have. We laughed and cried. And when I walked home I thought about that wonderful common bond, the tie that binds...motherhood. It's an amazing thing.  

When I was relaying the sadness of the situation to another friend we were talking about the dread and nightmare of having to bury a child. I'm sure it's the ULTIMATE blow to a parent. I wonder if it is because Mary had to bury Jesus. She suffered the ultimate blow. My Grandmother, dear friends, and so many other women have also. It's the unimaginable. I think you'd have to have a faith made of steel to cope. My heart goes out to these women. Truly. How do they move on?
Any who...thoughts and prayers to my sweet neighbor and her family.

DO squeeze the littles as much as possible, even if they're not "littles" anymore.
DON'T take your opportunities for granted...opportunities to thank God for your blessings, to play with your babies, to hug your loved ones, to tell someone you love them, or to laugh and cry with good friends, no matter what the age gap is.

The 1st week of school went really well. For that I am thankful. It's nice to know your child is enjoying school. It takes a little bit of worry off your plate. I am looking forward to a relaxing weekend of NO OBLIGATIONS. So that's the pandemonium for this week. No real organizing...just some beginnings of new school years, celebrations of birthdays, and appreciating being a Momma.

Practical Tip- 1-Celebrate and capture the seasons of life on camera as frequently as possible, 2-Follow the Rules...they're written for a reason, 3-Enjoy sweet friendships 4- Be prepared and Safety 1st even when times are tough or it's hard to remember everything because we are responsible for these little blessings, 5- Though it is hard to understand and we question why, He has a plan and we will praise Him

Practically Put- [1] For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven

a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.
- Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

[2]Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. -Joshua 1:8 (even when it's a scavenger hunt!!!)

[3]A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. -Proverbs 17:17
  
[4]I myself will be surety for him; you may hold me responsible for him. If I do not bring him back to you and set him before you, then let me bear the blame before you forever. -Genesis 43:9 (sounds pretty harsh, I know for forgetting to put on bicycle helmets...but you know what I mean.)

[5]Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised. - Job 1:21

Practically Yours,

No comments :