Friday, February 10, 2012

Days 7-8-9 and A Story

We have almost completely emerged from the the "sick tank", as my momma has been calling it. I'm actually very excited! If all goes as planned, as of 9:30ish {because I'm always late dropping off}, today will be my very first day in 2 weeks with everyone at school. I can actually run errands, clean up my house, do my couch 2 5k or go to the gym WITHOUT ANYONE IN TOW! I am reluctant to shout that because I'm just gonna have to believe it when I see it.

I have been super un-creative in my 14 Lovely Days recently. It's hard when you're just plain ol' wo' out from your daily duties. Any who...

Days 7-8-&-9
In the past 3 days I gave the boys these cute little Valentine's activity pads that I found at the dollar store, I wrote them "you are special..." love notes, and made them some Valentine's cupcakes.




I was so excited when Sam asked "mommy, when IS Valentine's?" I replied, "Next Tuesday. February 14th." He so sweetly said, "Oooooh! It's been kinda like Valentine's Day everyday because we keep having these surprises."

Awwwwww! It's so nice when your efforts are recognized.

In other news...
There's a blog link-up going on until Valentine's Day over at From Mrs. to Mama of bloggers telling their love stories.

If you've followed me long enough you can probably put my story all together from different posts. So you can fast forward at any point. ;-)

The list of questions to tell "Our Story" are as follows...

1. How long have you and your significant other been together?
This October, Shan and I will have been together for 20 years. It's so hard to believe that we've been together longer than we weren't!


2. How did you meet?
We met at AC Flora high school in Mr. Roberts's SAT Math class. Shannon {very unfortunately for him} sat in between two of the {then} worst note passin', gossipers of AC Flora...me and one of my dearest friends {still}, Anna Rock.

I stalked him for about 8 or 9 months until he came to his senses. I think he was scared of me because he never would ask me on a date by ourselves. We always went as a group or with other couples...Hmmmm? But one of our first "dates" was to see Hellraiser---such a romantic, he is!


3. If married, how long have you been married?
Shannon and I will be celebrating 13 VERY blessed years in June of this year.


4. If you are married, where did you get married? Big or small wedding?
We had a medium-ish wedding with a couple hundred guests. We got married at St. Joseph's, the church I grew up in Columbia. We were surrounded by all our closest friends and family members on the HOTTEST day of June...EVER!!! We exceed maximum capacity of the reception location and froze the air conditioner.

I couldn't wait to shed my 75 pounds of wedding dress, crinoline, hose, etc. I was roasting! My hair was soaked, my make-up had run off my face and my dress was filthy...all signs of a great party.
We sang, danced, and even clogged the day and night away!


5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another?
We don't really do nick-names. If you know Shannon, you know he's a man of few words. Come to think of it...I don't think he's ever said my name...Hmmmm?

I call him Shan or Shanny-McFanny, but that's about it.

6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.
I adore Shannon's dedication to his family, honesty, and authenticity. He goes above and beyond for me and the boys---ALWAYS! What you see is what you get with Shan. I just love that about him.

7. Tell us how he proposed?
Our proposal was quite hilarious and unromantic. On September 11, 1998, I sat boringly at Shannon's parent's house {where he was living at the time}, while he studied for an insurance exam. The internet was a fairly new concept and I just sat on the computer searching for and printing out a stack of engagement rings I'd like and asking him repeatedly if he was almost done because I was bored.

Shannon was getting antsy because he had already asked my dad, had already planned our engagement in Charleston in two weeks, and already had "the ring" in his closet. I kept showing him pictures of the ring(s) I wanted  and he nervously went to his closet and rustled a bag from the top. Trying to get me to turn around from the computer, he asked me if I was interested in borrowing his answering machine...HUH????

I snippily said...NO! Please hurry up and finish studying so we can go out!

He said well I was gonna wait a couple of weeks to do this, but since you're picking out rings now, I thought you might like this one.

And he got down on one knee...

8. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petals?
None of the above. We are a card and dinner-in kinda couple. Occasionally, we'll grab each other a little sursie, but we keep it low key.

9. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?
At this point in our marriage, with three busy boys and lots going on, date nights are few and far between...so I'd take either!

10. Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your significant one day. Go anywhere?
Shan and I have always talked about traveling together. We didn't do much, if any, before kids. I think we'd start our bucket list of places to go with Nantucket.

11. Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine's Day.
This Valentine's Day we will probably do what we usually do. Fix the boys a yummy supper of their choice, exchange cards/sursies with them. After they go to bed, Shan and I will get take-out Sushi and have a date night in!

12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine's day?
Last year I asked for a new printer and got it! I was so excited. This year I haven't asked for anything in particular, but I run my mouth constantly about what I'd like. If he gets me anything, it'll be one of my 10,000 random wants.

13. Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love.
The only adivice I'd give to keep your relationship strong is to find out each other's needs and meet them!

14. Show us a picture of what love means to you.
Any man who will wear a Jon-Jon for Halloween...really, REALLY loves you...LOTS!
Halloween 2010

1 comment :

just ask beth said...

my favorite POST!! that proposal made me cry>>as did the JON JON, but in a different way!