Friday, July 23, 2010

DAY 3

I think most would agree that Mommas are the "Hub" and heart of a family. We are the ones who know who, what, when, where, and why 99% of the time. We have lots on our plates. Our moods set the mood and tone for the rest of the day for our family, in many cases. Sometimes I think my heart and tongue are in need of an organizational over-haul too.

The Heart-Tongue Over-Haul---

Earlier this week, I woke up grumpy and immediately couldn't wait until 8:30 pm so I could go back to bed. The Mini-Messers grated at my nerves, The Yard Man "wasn't listening", and the geriatric pets were just in my way AND this was all before breakfast! My happy Mini-Messers suddenly turned irritable, The Yard Man stormed off to work and the geriatric pets were just still in my way. So by 9:00 am I realized that my bad mood had carried over into everyone else's day. Great. What a nice gesture from MOM!

At that moment I decided that I MUST do better. I do not have the right to ruin everyone's day! Nor do I want my children to grow up thinking I am a total grouch. This scenario is not typical. However, if they see it enough they too will think it's okay to subject others to their bad moods. I do not set a very good example when I act like that. (Not to mention, that behavior is not very pretty!) I want my children to respect me. I want my husband to think I've got it all under control. And I am not EVEN trying to give the impression that I'm not allowed to have a bad day, because I will from time to time and that's just life. I think I get like that when I feel overwhelmed by my "To-Do List". I often wonder how I'll ever get it all done. And I don't want my family to think I'm Super-freak!

Well, I found something to help me! It's called Xanax!!!! Just kidding! I know I need that too but actually...I was doing my daily thumbing through one of my fave org books and it popped out at me like it was written for me. The co-authors, Emilie Barnes and Sheri Torelli note that we must #1 Delegate- because we can't do it all by ourselves...others in the home need to be responsible for certain tasks. #2 Dialogue- Let others in the home know how you're feeling or if things aren't working and need to be adjusted. #3 Interaction-Allow others in your home to work along side you. You will learn a wealth of info about each other while tackling all your duties. They also suggest giving my nasty attitude to God to let him clean it up. As for my tongue, I need to learn to bite it! I'll have to do lots of praying about that.

Now, all this is obviously not a 1 day job. I'll have to get up and remind myself daily of these things. After all, it should become a habit if you do it long enough. Right? I think remembering these things will help create a greater sense of peace, respect, and happier hearts in my family.

Practical tip- Delegate, have Dialogue, Interact, Give it to God, and Bite your tongue!

Practically Put- Her children arise and call her blessed, her husband also praises her.
- Proverbs 31:28
Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. - Proverbs 16:24

Practically Yours,

No comments :