Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Fabulous Day for a Cause

This past weekend was the Palmetto Health Walk for Life to benefit breast cancer treatment and research. It was the most beautiful morning! It was sunny with the bluest sky and the temp was about 60 degrees. I couldn't have hand picked a prettier day. I was an active participant in this event for years, during and shortly after college. I haven't participated in several years and I realized on Saturday how much I miss it! I met with a few of my sweet friends from church to walk in honor of our dear friend, Alice.

This event is so wonderful on so many levels. Our large group broke off into smaller groups as the walk got under-way. A couple of girls I walked with are my friends through church, but I have never really gotten to know them. We spent about an hour-and-a-half chit chatting, sharing stories, laughing, and talking about our plans for our homes and children. I really enjoyed getting to know them better. We got to enjoy the perfect weather, bond with good friends, and got in a great walk at the same time! All this while raising money for a really good cause!

Back to Alice! Alice was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year. Like so many women, she has this terrible disease, but it DOESN'T have her. She has had the most amazing attitude and faith in God to pull her through this. The verse she clings to comes from Isaiah 40:31
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Alice has a great story to tell about being a "Spider Fighter", her diagnosis, and determination to fight this. I'd  love to have her share it on my blog one day. She is a true fighter and inspiration. Her struggle hits very close to home, as she is a young, busy mother of three beautiful young ladies. I will continue to pray for her healing and speedy recovery, as well as a breakthrough in fighting this terrible disease. Won't you join me in prayer?

So here's to Alice and all the women fighting all kinds of cancers!


Go Team Alice!!! Alice, The #1 Spider Fighter, is the little pink dot in the middle who the girls are holding up

Pre-walk
Katie, Sarah, Wendy, Me, Katherine, Birley, and Christine

No comments :